Anxiety/OCD Script

This was influenced by my own experiences with anxiety, and the OCD video on The Mighty. The script is based around small, seemingly insignificant obsessions that crop up on a daily basis for some suffering with an anxiety disorder, and recurring problems that often set off the small issues and feelings of worry and panic.

MAN: (choatic, overlapping) I’m tired. That wasn’t a good sleep. Was it? Did I sleep well last night? I’m going to be really tired today. What if it affects my day today? The meeting is today. Will Sharon know I’m tired? I look tired. My eyes are really heavy. She’ll know I’m tired. How many hours did I sleep? Seven, I think, or eight. No less than usual. Maybe it was less? Was it six? Or five? My clock might be wrong. I’m going to mess up the meeting. I’ll buy a new one today. I need a new clock. How long has it been wrong? Let’s see, I went to bed at 12… What if I’ve been to work late before, but no one told me? That’s why not many people speak to me. I slept until 7.30, that’s seven and a half hours. Is it? I need a new clock. I’ll go and check it. I hope it’s not broken. It’s probably broken. I’m going to mess up the meeting.

(pause)

MAN: It’s not broken. But it’s late. I’ll be late. I’m going to be late. Everyone will look at me. I’m going to mess up the meeting. Got to shave. Must shave. I’ll do it now. Got to make sure the clock is in the right place first.

(pause)

MAN: Right, lather pumps… One, two, three. Oh no, that’s too much. That’s far too much. Too much. Better wash it off and start again. I’m going to mess up the meeting. One, two, three. That’s better. It’s ok. It’s all ok. Lather up. Now with the razor… One, two, three, four, five. Rinse. One, two, three, four, five. Rinse. One, two, three, four, five. Rinse. One, two, three, four, five. Rinse. Towel. I’ve missed a bit. How could I miss it? I did everything right. I don’t understand. It always works. It always works. What am I going to do? I’ll have to start again. I’m going to mess up the meeting. Must start again.

(pause)

MAN: I’ve got my keys. Have I? I’ll just check. Yes, they’re in my pocket. Better get them out to be sure. Great, time to go. Switched the light off, door locked. Did I leave the TV on? I didn’t watch TV this morning. What if it switched itself on? I’ll check. It’s off. I’ll press some buttons to check. Definitely off. Good to go. Door is locked. Try it to be sure. Locked. I’ll just unlock it and lock it again, then I’ll know for certain. Check again. Once more. More force this time. Right, that door is locked. I can go now.

To be continued?